Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wild Ride for Teen Who Sold SUV to Car Bomb Suspect

(May 4) -- Peggy Colas went from soooo happy to soooo crazy after she learned that the man who'd bought her SUV was the Times Square car bomb suspect.

"OMG! I had a crazy day. ... It's official. I have bad luck. SMH I hope they find that bastard," she posted on her Facebook page late Sunday.

Just days before, the 19-year-old college student from Bridgeport, Conn., was ecstatic after she collected $1,300 in $100 bills from the man authorities believe was Faisal Shahzad. "I'm sooo happy I got a new car :)," her Facebook posting on April 28 read.
Peggy Colas at her home in Connecticut. Peggy allegedly sold her  Nissan Pathfinder a car to the suspected car bomber. The car was later  found parked in Times Square Manhattan, packed with explosive material.
Brigitte Stelzer, Splash News
Peggy Colas, here at her Connecticut home, sold her Nissan Pathfinder to a man authorities believe was Faisal Shahzad.

Shahzad, a Bridgeport resident who once lived about 20 minutes away from Colas in Shelton, Conn., was arrested late Monday at Kennedy Airport aboard a flight that was just about to take off for Dubai, authorities said. An explosive planted on the Nissan Pathfinder he bought from Colas over the Internet failed to go off.

The SUV was traced to Colas on Sunday, and her family told the New York Post that the "For Sale" sign on it had been taken away by the police in a search for fingerprints.

Colas, who was questioned by the police on Monday, refused to comment to the Post when she came home, the newspaper reported, saying only, "How do you know I sold the car?"

Her mother said, "My daughter's nervous. She doesn't want this guy coming after her."

The Pakistan-born Shahzad is expected to be charged in federal court in Manhattan today.

"We anticipate charging him with an act of terrorism transcending national borders, attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction, using a destructive device during the commission of another crime, as well as assorted explosives charges," Attorney General Eric Holder told reporters in Washington this afternoon.

A former neighbor of Shahzad's in Shelton said Shahzad and his wife, Huma Mian, lived in the two-story colonial house for three years, spoke little English and mostly kept to themselves. Neighbor Brenda Thurman told The New York Times that Shahzad moved out in May 2009 and his wife about a month later.

Meanwhile, The Associated Press quoted Pakistani intelligence officials as saying that several people have been detained by authorities in Pakistan in connection with the attempted bombing.